Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater

I love this time of year...even with all it's busyness. One of our favorite things around here is anything pumpkin. I should clarify anything sweet with pumpkin (no pumpkin soups for us). And of course pumpkin scented things too. Growing up we used canned pumpkin and really only enjoyed the usual pumpkin pie. Then Jason growing up always had fresh straight from the pumpkin but still just pumpkin pie. The 1st few years we were married my mother-in-law would do all the work and then just bring over some containers of pumpkin for us to keep in our freezer. Easy I can handle fresh if I am not doing the work. But then last year we got this great idea that we would do the pumpkins ourselves. I had a great magazine article all about how to do your own pumpkins. I have been expreminting for several years now with all things pumpkin. Our favorites now include pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pie of course, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin waffles and pancakes too. Each year I try a few new things to make variety in our fall (well really all into the year) pumpkin consumption.

This year we did our pumpkins and ended up with 18 cups of pumpkin in the freezer (9 2 cup containers). I think last year we had 14 cups!!! Needless to say I will be making yummy pumpkin treats all the way until next years pumpkin puree party. Stay tuned pumpkin patch pictures coming this week.


These are our 2 pumpkins (no idea what kind they are...my mil got them for us)
Here is Jake scooping out the seeds
Here they are cooking in the oven with a little water on the baking sheets and water underneath
Scooped all the mushy yummyness out of each pumpkin and put it in the food processor (no pictures of the food processing step)
And there you have it our 18 cups of pumpkin yummy puree....I am thinking some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are just around the corner

1 comment:

  1. What a fun fall project! I'm sure your pumpkin puree is much healthier than the canned variety too.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete